- The election will be held from 8 am to 6 pm on 12 February 2023 in all of Berlin’s boroughs.
- You will receive an election notification [Wahlbenachrichtigung] by post to your registered address in Berlin. You will receive the election notification latest by 22 January 2023.
- The number and address of the polling station are printed on the election notification card.
- For the BVV election, you are entitled to vote at a polling station other than the one specified on your card. However, in order to do so, you must apply for a voting slip [Wahlschein] in advance (see You are not in Berlin on election day?).
- You will need to show official proof of identity (ID card or passport).
- At the polling station, you will receive an orange ballot. On the ballot paper, you are only permitted to put one cross (indicating the party or voters’ association you want to vote for).
Repeat Election 2023
The election on 12 February 2023 is a repeat election.
The BVV (and the Berlin House of Representatives) have previously been elected on 26 September 2021. This election has been declared invalid due to errors during the election process. The election must therefore be repeated.
The legislative period doesn’t start from the beginning. The next elections will take place in autumn 2026, five years after the last regular elections.
The parties and voters’ associations (see Who is elected to the BVV?) will put up the same lists of candidates for election as on 26 September 2021. Only candidates who have moved or died since then will be replaced by other candidates from the list.