An election does not make a democracy. A democracy only functions when citizens participate in decision-making processes between the elections. There are countless ways to participate:
- By joining a political party
- Student representation in schools or at universities
- Parent representation and councils
- Trade unions, works councils and labour councils
- Senior citizen advisory boards and representative associations
- Citizen representatives at borough level regarding neighbourhood issues
- Highlighting specific topics as part of citizens’ initiatives or other interest groups
- Direct participation, petitions, popular votes and local decision-making.
Everybody can have an impact on the political landscape and help to shape their community, borough and Berlin as a whole.
Politics is not just for politicians: cast your vote.