An election does not make a democracy. A democracy only functions when citizens participate in decision-making processes between the elections. There are countless ways to participate:
- by joining a political party
- student representation in schools or at universities
- parent representation and councils
- trade unions, works councils and labor councils
- senior citizen advisory boards and representative associations
- citizen representatives at district (Bezirk) level regarding neighborhood issues
- highlighting specific topics as part of citizens’ initiatives or other interest groups
- direct participation, petitions, popular votes and local decision-making.
Everybody can have an impact on the political landscape and help to shape their community, district and Berlin as a whole.
Politics is not just for politicians: cast your vote!